Ideas for Using NewsPrism in Your Classroom
· Use NewsPrism as a starting point for easy access to media outlets.
· Compare homepages of media outlets. Homepages reflect the priorities and editorial spin of the media outlet. Select two or more sources and compare the headlines.
· Study news articles on the same topic from a variety of perspectives.
· Analyze news articles for media bias. What is the difference between a straight news story and an opinion piece? How might a writer insert an opinion into an article that is supposed to be a straight news story?
· Compare straight news stories with commentary or opinion pieces. How are they different?
· Compare Right-leaning sources with Left-leaning sources. How are they different? Why are they different?
· Fact check articles against statistical data
· Debate current events using news stories and commentaries as sources
· Reference resources for papers
· Discuss the problem of the media echo chamber and its affect on opinion. Give examples.